Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ClearCase Issue

ClearCase Issues: I have faced the following issue in my ClearCase practice. Normally we cannot create hard link for the folders in the ClearCase. But in my case the one of the folder with its sub directory is present in two folders in the same VOB. If I checkout/add new element will be reflected in other folder also.

E.g. The folder “Test” in the 00_Baseline has 2 text files "new2.txt" and "new21.txt".

The folder “Test” has the hard link at 01_Requirements.

If I checkout from any of these folder the file will get checkout in other the folder.

I ran the following command to find the folder has any hard links. It shows the other folder path as a significant pathnames

cleartool describe -aliases -all Test

Reason for this behavior:

  1. I checkout the folder “00_Baseline” then cut the folder “Test” and pasted in to “01_Requirements” folder.
  2. Now the folder “Test” is not visible in “00_Baseline”
  3. Now the “00_Baseline” is in checked out Mode.
  4. The “01_Requirements” had created one more version with Added element “Test”
  5. Now I undo checkout the folder “00_Baseline” Now the “Test” folder came back to “00_Baseline” again.

Normally we do not checkout the parent folder to cut and paste the elements in the same VOB. However if the user has did the same steps as mentioned above will create the confusion.
I felt this is the defect in ClearCase. Kindly let me know your views on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment